The main objective of this lab is to familiarize the students with different power electronics elements with their application in relevant field of electrical engineering and recent trends. This provides the basic practical knowledge in the application of power electronics as a converter in electrical drives application, uninterruptable power supply, inverter application, battery charger circuit etc.
1. Able to understand the need of power electronics in engineering field.
2. Able to recognize the operational behavior of different power electronics elements.
3. Able to differentiate the various triggering and commutation circuits.
4. Able to describe and design the suitable circuit topologies associated with converter application.
5. Able to control the AC and DC motors using appropriate method.
6. Able to understand the application of power electronics in battery charging circuits, Uninterruptable power supply etc.
Major Facilities available in this laboratory:
1. Power electronics elements trainer kit (SCR-4nos, TRIAC-4nos, IGBT-1nos.)
2. Thyristor Bridge converter with Resistive and Inductive load. (5nos. full bridge converter, 1 no half bridge converter).
3. Power electronics design trainer kit. (1nos)
4. Inverter trainer kit (Series Inverter-1nos, Parallel inverter-1nos)
5. UPS and battery charging circuit trainer kit.
6. Thyristor based DC Motor Controller with 2hp DC Motor (2 nos. )
7. Chopper control with DC Motor load.
8. AC controller with Motor load. (Triac Based)
9. V/F controller with 1kw three phase Induction Motor.
10. Drive module based on Slip power recovery scheme with Slip-ring Induction Motor.
11. Cathode Ray Oscilloscope (4nos.)
12. Simulation Platform with MATLAB and PSIM software (6 nos. of system).
Course covered in this Laboratory:
1. Power Electronics Lab (EE-693, EC-795)
2. Electric Drive Lab (EE-791)
Experiments performed in this Lab:
1. Study of the characteristics of an SCR.
2. Study of the characteristics of a Triac.
3. Study of different triggering circuits of an SCR.
4. Study of firing circuits suitable for triggering SCR in a single phase full controlled bridge.
5. Study of the operation of a single phase full controlled bridge converter with R and R-L load.
6. Study of performance of single phase half controlled symmetrical and asymmetrical bridge converters.
7. Study of performance of step down chopper with R and R-L load.
8. Study of performance of single phase controlled converter with and without source inductance (simulation)
9. Study of performance of step up and step down chopper with MOSFET, IGBT and GTO as switch (simulation).
10. Study of performance of single phase half controlled symmetrical and asymmetrical bridge converter.(simulation)
11. Study of performance of three phase controlled converter with R & R-L load. (simulation)
12. Study of performance of PWM bridge inverter using MOSFET as switch with R and R-L load.
13. Study of performance of three phase AC controller with R and R-L load (simulation)
14. Study of performance of a Dual converter. (simulation)
15. Study of performance of a Cycloconverter (simulation)
16. Study of thysistor controlled DC Drive.
17. Study of Chopper fed DC Drive.
18. Study of AC Single phase motor-speed control using TRIAC.
19. PWM Inverter fed 3 phase Induction Motor control using MATLAB / PSIM Software.
20. VSI / CSI fed Induction Motor Drive analysis using MATLAB/PSIM Software.
21. Study of V/f control operation of three phase Induction Motor drive.
22. Study of permanent magnet synchronous motor drive fed by PWM Inverter using Software.
23. Regenerative / Dynamic braking operation for DC Motor – study using software.
24. Regenerative / Dynamic braking operation of AC Motor – study using software.
25. PC based AC/DC Motor Control Operation.